Supplement Schedule for the OLD MUTUAL Two Oceans 56km Marathon: The world's most beautiful marathon!
Take a peek here for more info on this magnificent and challeging 56 km marathon
The supplements you will need for this race:
- One tub of EnduraShake for a “breakfast” before the start, a "during" liquid meal, a carboloader (3 days before) and a post race recovery drink. Easy on the gut, pre-digested and will keep you going for hours on end!
· GELS: Logistically, gels are more practical to use than running with a water bottle and sports drink. If you decide to run on gels, you will need 7. Because the distance of the 2 Oceans is longer than most events, the timing of the gels should change from the recommended one gel every 10 kms (which is for a Standard 42km), to one gel every 9 kms. (For the Comrades Marathon, we recommend that the gels should be taken even closer together; one gel every 8 kms). We recommend PowerBar gels and Gu Gels and Roctane - We stock all!
- 1 Pack of Joobies. These are brilliant for fast electrolytes and energy - especially if you're running in heat or if you tend to cramp. Also, if you cannot stomach energy gels and still wish to run on water alone, you can simply eat 3 Joobies per hour. If you do wish to run on Joobies and not gels, then you do need to take the EnduraShake beforehand - as the GI of the EnduraShake is extremely low and will assist with keeping blood sugar levels stable throughout. Remember to keep hydrating with water at a rate of approximately 600-750 mls per hour regardless of whether you use Gels or Joobies.
· 1 Bar - Preferably a combination of carbohydrate and some protein: RedBars or Powerbars. We stock both!
· 1 tub Glutamine – for fast recovery! Start on this now and use daily after training and take as part of your carbo-loading regime.
· 1 Mark 11 Shammy Cream or Milking Cream– to prevent chaffing. We stock both!
· 1 bottle Solgar Cal Mag Zinc (Optional - Only if you have a tendency to cramp)
· Ester C1000 mgs by Solgar - If your immune system is a bit dodgy – start on this now.
· Omnium by Solgar – An advanced phytonutrient-rich multivitamin and mineral formula - start on this now.
- Solgar's Advanced Multi-Billion Dophilus – The most important supplements you can take for a strong immune system!
Carbo-Loading: PER DAY: Starting 3 days before:
Eat good quality foods with an emphasis on more carbohydrates from the earth – such as potato, sweet potato, rice and oats. Good quality proteins – such as chicken, lean red meat and fish. Include “healthy fats” – olive oil, sunflower seeds, flaxseed oil, coconut oil and avocado.
During the final 3-5 days leading up to the event … include 3 scoops of EnduraShake – in 3 divided doses throughout the day: If you’re extremely lean and intend racing hard and fast, you may wish to increase to 6 scoops instead of 3, also in divided doses. However, most people find that 3 scoops is more than enough.
If you weigh less than 60 kgs, then 2 scoops usually suffices for carbo-laoding, however, we still recommend that you take that last scoop at night on the last night just before the event. EnduraShake is always taken in water.
Carboload with EnduraShake: Mixed in 200-400mls water
· 10h00: 1 (or 2) Scoop EnduraShake in 200 mls (to 400 mls) water
· 15h00: 1 (or 2) Scoop EnduraShake in 200 mls (to 400 mls) water
· Before Bedtime: 1 (or 2) Scoop EnduraShake in 200 mls (to 400 mls) water
For additional liquid and electrolyte loading during the few days leading up to the Comrades:
· Solgar’s Cal Mag Zinc – 3 tablets per day – before bedtime
· Slightly increase your salt on your foods - particularly if you sweat a lot and your sweat is quite salty
· 2 x Solgar’s Omnium – an advanced phytonutrient-rich multiple vitamin and mineral formula
· 1 teaspoon Glutamine per day. Start on this now. This should be used on a daily basis to hasten muscle repair and recovery!
- 1-2 x Solgar's Advanced Multi-Billion Dophilus – start on this now!
The Night before the Start:
· Eat a balanced meal containing higher complex carbohydrates - such as potatoes, rice etc together with quality proteins, vegetables and healthy fats
· Lightly increase the salt on your foods
· 1 (or 2) Scoops EnduraShake in 200mls water before bedtime. Most people find that one scoop for the bedtime dose is sufficient.
· 1-3 of Solgar’s Cal Mag Zinc formula.
· 1 Omnium
· 1 Ester C 1000mgs
· 1 teaspoon Glutamine
On the morning of the Race:
· Your “usual” Breakfast: Don’t change anything, select foods that your body is accustomed to racing on – such as oats, bananas, toast, peanut butter etc.
· Approximately 45 to 60 minutes before the start, take 2 scoops of EnduraShake with 400mls water - No matter how much you weigh, take 2 scoops. This will carry you for up to 42 kms - at which point, you should take another 1 scoops to fuel you through to 56kms, or you can take a bar at 42kms to carry you through to 56kms
· Remember to apply your Mark 11 Shammy Cream or Milking Cream if you tend to chaff. We stock both!
Just Before the Start:
· 250mls - 500mls of your favourite sports drink - EnduraPower / GU Brew / PowerBar Endurance/ FIT. Drinking fluid pre-race is a great way to pre-hydrate. Note that strong coffee (caffeine) on the morning of the event will increase urine production, which is made worse if the morning is chilly.
· If you're concerned about urine production just before the start, then rather take ONE GU/ PowerBar Gel with a few mouthfuls of fluid, about 5 minutes before the start.
· Consume one Gel - GU at PowerBar Gel at the start, then one gel every 40 - 45 minutes, or every 9 kms – (whichever comes first) …Do not wait until you begin to feel tired before taking your next gel: Consume your gel on time – regardless of how you feel…
- (Optional): In addition, to top up your electrolytes, take one Joobie every 1.5 to 2 hours throughout the event
· Per hour: Drink approximately 600-750mls of water per hour. Note that the gut empties FASTER if you place more fluid in it.
· If you prefer to race on your favourite sports drink, (EnduraPower / GU Brew / PowerBar Endurance Drink/ FIT), make sure that you consume 600 to 750mls per hour, and possibly, in addition, one energy gel (GU / PowerBar Gel) every 2 hours – especially in the second half of the race.
- If you cannot stomach gels, but still wish to run on water alone, simple eat 3 Joobies per hour. Keep hydrating with approximately 600-750 mls per hour. Joobies should be used in conjunction with the EnduraShake as this is an extremely low GI formulation, keeping your blood glucose rock solid for up to 4 hours or 42 kms.
And afterwards for recovery…
Immediately after completing the race…
· To hasten recovery… Studies have shown that taking a liquid blend of high carbohydrate and partially digested proteins within the first 30 minutes of completing the race, hastens recovery and reduces DOMS (Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness)….so consume one FULL serving of EnduraShake immediately after in 400mls water….
· One teaspoon Glutamine
A Great Tip for Daily Training and Fast Recovery:
Use EnduraPower for your daily shorter runs (and/or general conditioning sessions).
The EnduraPower is a low GI drink, with 3 different carbs, loads of electrolytes to prevent cramping, lactic acid buffers for racing and L-Glutamine for muscle repair and recovery! Plus it's much cheaper than buying a soft drink or commercial sports drink! 2kgs gives you 30 litres:
For your daily run (for distances less than 20kms), mix 500 mls to 750mls. Drink half before your run and finish off the rest when you've finished; or simply sip throughout your conditioning session. (It can also be used for trailrunning - it simply goes in your tripper)
More info here
· A predigested Race Food for ultra-distance events easy on the stomach - Absorbs ultra fast! Keeps you going for hours – No Munchies!
· Complex carbs that help stabilise blood glucose levels
· Top quality protein blend
· 4500 mg Glutamine to assist with fast recovery!
· M.C.T.’s - the “Performance” fatless fat – Prolongs your glycogen stores!
· EnduraShake: One tub: 2 kgs containing 20 servings
The BEST High-Performance, Best Tasting Endurance Food Around!
Available in Delicious Vanilla Adventure, Strawberry Smoothie and Cappuccino Express.
Easy to Mix – NO BLENDER required!
An ENERGY joob-joob!
walk, run, swim, cycle, row, sprint, catch, jump....
Packed full of electrolytes, lactic acid buffers and carbohydrates!
Take one with your favourite sports drink every 2 hours to prevent cramping!
Or...if racing on water alone, eat 2-3 YUMMY slices per hour
Directions for use: If racing on your favourite sports drink, top up your electrolyte content by taking one Joobie approximately every 2 hours during the event. If you feel a cramp starting, eat one or 2 Joobies immediately and then keep hydrating with fluid.
If competing on water alone, take one Joobie at the start of the event and then 3 Joobies per hour. Continue drinking 500-750 mls water over the hour.
To replace electrolytes following competition, eat a Joobie immediately afterwards. Keep hydrating with water.
Contains a blend of carbohydrates, sodium, sodium citrate, sodium phosphate, potassium phosphate, nature identical flavour.
Contains NO GELATIN
Juicy Citrus Flavour! VERY VERY YUMMY!
6 slices in a pack! Just R25 per pack!
Drink at least 300ml - 500ml of water per hour
Before, after, half time, anytime
cycle, swim, run, walk, ride, hike, climb, gym, work, COMPETE!
- Carbohydrate Energy
- Acid Buffering Agents
- Preservative free
- Natural colour
- Individually Wrapped